This is the CBC story about price matching at Target
This is the full price match policy from the Target.ca website
Our Price Match Guarantee
We'll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at a Target store then find the identical item for less from select online Canadian competitors within seven days or in the current print or digital flyer for any local competitor. We'll also match the price if you find the identical item for less in the following week's Target flyer. Price match may be requested prior to your purchase. Simply bring in proof of the current lower price, your original receipt and we'll match the price.
Price Match Guarantee: the details
- Price match may be requested prior to your purchase.
- Price match can only be completed at our stores. Price match for Canadian purchases are not valid in Target's U.S. stores or Target.com.
- The original Target receipt must be brought in when requesting a post-purchase price match.
- The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, colour, quantity and model number.
- Online Competitor Price Match:
- For matching eligible online competitors, the retail price must be current and shown on the Canadian competitor's website or mobile application at the time price match is requested.
- Price match is valid only for the following Canadian online retailers:
- Amazon.ca, Walmart.ca, Bestbuy.ca, ToysRUs.ca, BabiesRUs.ca, CanadianTire.ca, Futureshop.ca and Sears.ca.
- Online “Marketplace” or auction-type websites (including Amazon.ca Marketplace), or any other secondary seller websites are specifically excluded, whether hosted on a competitor's website or otherwise.
- Guests will be required to show competitor offer on their personal mobile device. Target team members will then verify the price is current, that the item is in-stock, and is sold directly by the retailer. Team members may request a refresh of the webpage or application to validate date of offer and pricing.
- Printouts, screen shots and competitor offers shown on any site other than the competitor's website will not be accepted.
- Competitor online items must be in stock at the time price match is requested.
- Limit of one competitor online price match per identical item, per guest.
- Competitor Weekly Flyer Price Match:
- For matching local competitor weekly flyers, whether digital or print, the competitor's advertisement must show the retail price, the price must be applicable locally, and the price must be valid on the day the price match is requested.
- For flyer (print): Guests will be required to show the entire printed advertisement. Photos and photocopies of the flyer will not be accepted as verification.
- For flyer (digital): Guests will be required to show the competitor's digital flyer on their personal mobile device. Target team members will then verify that the flyer is current and local. Team members may request a refresh of the webpage or application to validate. Printouts and screenshots will not be accepted as verification.
- Third-party mobile applications such as flyer aggregator websites are also acceptable.
- We accept competitor catalogue price match as long as the catalogue displays a current date and retail price and meets all other price match qualifications.
- All matches are done against pre-tax prices; guest is responsible for applicable taxes.
- We reserve the right to verify a competitor's advertised price and the availability of the item.
- We reserve the right to limit price match to reasonable quantities.
Price Match Guarantee: exclusions
- Prices from U.S. Target stores, including CityTarget, and prices from Target.com.
- Prices from any US competitor store locations or retail websites.
- Online prices from any competitors not listed above.
- Target Mobile, including contract cell phone plans and devices.
- Purchases at Brunet affiliated pharmacies in Target's Québec stores.
- “Marketplace”, auction and secondary seller prices: Price matched items must be sold directly by the competitor; prices from third party sellers on the competitor's website will not be honored.
- Prices that only display on a website after guests log in.
- Clearance, closeout, damaged product, used, refurbished, open packages or liquidation sales.
- Prices advertised only as a percent off or dollar off, if regular price is not listed.
- Paid membership club or paid loyalty programs (e.g. prices that require a club or loyalty card that is associated with a membership fee).
- Buy one, get one if the retail price is not shown in the advertisement.
- Competitor price matches on items where Target or the competitor is offering a free gift card.
- Competitor coupon-required, including mobile coupons.
- Mail-in offers or instant rebates.
- Offers that include financing.
- Free product where no qualifying purchase is required.
- Bundled offers and special purchases.
- Sales tax promotions.
- Any other promotions otherwise prohibited by law.
- Items advertised as limited time/limited supply/limited quantity.
- Black Friday and Boxing Day ads (including adjusting prices for previously purchased items).
- Pricing or typographical errors.
- Non-branded or private label items.
- Product services (warranties, assembly, etc.).
- Display merchandise, used or previously owned items.
- Damaged product or opened packaging.
- Items part of movie/game reservation card promotion.
- Gift cards and prepaid cards.
- Items out of stock at a Target store at the time the price match is requested will not be issued a rain check.
- Target team member discounts may not be used with price match.
What do you mean by local retail competitors?
This refers to retail stores located within the same Canadian market area as a particular Target store. Examples of a market area can be a city, a metropolitan area or a specific rural region.
Can I use a coupon when price matching?
A guest can use coupons when price matching per Target's normal coupon policy. We happily accept one manufacturer's and one Target coupon per item. View our Store Coupon policy . Target does not ad match a competitor's coupon-required offers.
These steps will be followed for price match when a guest presents a coupon(s):
- Manufacturer coupons: Manufacturer coupons will be applied after the price match is made.
- Target coupons: Target coupons will be applied before the price match is made. If the competitor price is still lower than the price after the Target coupon has been deducted, the price match can be adjusted to match the competitor's price.
- Combining both Target and manufacturer coupons: the Target coupon will be applied before the price match is made. If the competitor price is still lower than the new price, the price will be adjusted to match the competitor's price. Once the price match is made, the manufacturer coupon will be applied.